[CoLoCo] If you don't use AD how can you authenticate users?

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Mon Jan 21 20:56:10 GMT 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 1:49 PM, David L. Willson <DLWillson at thegeek.nu> wrote:
> For the impatient:
> 1 - Consider a dumb-X-terminal solution, if you have one badass box, and
> a bunch of crap.  Think Edubuntu.

I'm thinking of the situation when you have a bunch of nice desktops
already loaded with a flavor of Ubuntu but need an authentication
solution

> 2 - Consider just tying into AD, if you already have a good AD-based
> infrastructure.  You might want to start here:
> http://blog.scottlowe.org/2006/08/08/linux-active-directory-and-windows-server-2003-r2-revisited/

Thanks but looking for a non-AD approach (I know, the horror. Not using AD?).

> 3 - Consider building up an OpenLDAP or Fedora Directory Service based
> domain.  You might want to start here:
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:DebianUbuntu
> or here:  http://www.openldap.org
> or here:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=206202

This might be the winner. Let me check these links and I'll get back.

Thanks,
-jim