[CoLoCo] Install Fest

simon engelbert simonengelbert at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 15:36:15 GMT 2008

First off, please remember that Les is on this email so when you reply to the thread try to remember to "reply all" so that we keep him in the loop.

I contacted Les yesterday via email and phone and he is excited about this "Install Fest" as well. So now we just need to plan when, where and how. First we need to figure out how to get the computers. Les lives at the mouth of Coal Creek Canyon and is leaving this Sunday for 8 days. We need to schedule a pick-up or drop-off of the computers before he leaves if needed. When would be a good time for everyone? Who was looking to host this event and where is that location? I believe I remember David saying that he could host it at a computer lab at his University? If that is true, will we need the monitors, mice, keyboards, etc from Les or can we just use those that are in the lab?

I also have some other questions surrounding Edubuntu for this "Install Fest". Les told me that these computers will be used as an educational tools for kids in Sierra Leone. Would it be more fitting and beneficial for these students to have Edubuntu on these computers? I know Les was interested about what Edubuntu exactly is and since I have no experience with it I thought I would see if anyone knew what it entailed. He needs basic word processing, spreadsheet, internet and email tools. I figured that this derivative of Ubuntu probably came with Open Office, Firefox and Evolution/Thunderbird but was not certain. What other special apps does it have? What grade or age is it targeted at?

Thanks,

-Simon