[CoLoCo] Tax Time Again

Bryan Gartner Bryan.Gartner at HP.com
Wed Jan 16 17:23:11 GMT 2008

FYI,

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 04:44:36PM +0000, Chomafin wrote:
> Strange.. It is working now.. Not sure what happened.
> It seems 2007 version is still in the works. Here is there progress page : http://taxgeek.sourceforge.net/FormsLog07.html .

Yes, and that is a drawback, as it revs until early April often times.
Of course, helpers can send in patches to get it "released" sooner.

> Bryan : Do you know your taxes well enough to determine if everything is done correctly?  I know next to nothing about taxes outside what turbo tax tells me so using this is a bit frightful.  Exciting as well, but I don't want to have to explain anything to the IRS heh. I like being able to point my finger at TurboTax (assuming that i can).

Well if you can read the tax forms/instructions themselves, you can also
read the application itself to verify it is doing sane things.  It is all
written very clearly (in JavaScript/HTML) and just works in a browser.  I
did my taxes manually and via TaxGeek before submission last year.  Most of
the issues I found were mistakes on my part of if-then-else confusion on
the various forms/worksheets/...

Obviously, their caveats hold:

	"ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEES ARE OFFERED"

but it actually made taxes more enjoyable to do last year, in a hacking
sense,

bryang