[CoLoCo] I Love Ubuntu!

TheZorch thezorch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 16:20:20 GMT 2008

David L. Willson wrote:
> For the record, I said bugged, not buggered, and I was talking about
> this bug here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/173890

Ok, so it was the .deb file that had the issue.
> Gusty 64 is not "buggered"; I've been using it and enjoying the Heck out
> of it, but it is "bugged" in a place or two.

Its interesting that Linux has been doing 64-bit for a few years now and
Microsoft still hasn't got it right yet.  LOL  Mac OS X Leopard is the
first of that OS to go 64-bit also.
>  - Timezone thingy doesn't allow selection of timezones, only cities.
> This is annoying during the install and all other times, too.

Timezone selection should be by the name of the timezones.
>  - Partition-shrinking-thingy during install is impossible for normals
> to understand.  Needs to be much more plain English.  (ie: "I'm going to
> shrink your Windows partition from 150GB to 73GB.  You will still have
> used 50GB of that partition, so after the shrink you will have 23GB of
> free space available for use in Windows.  This will give you 77GB of
> space dedicated to your new Linux system.  The installation will use
> about 4GB, and you will have 73GB available for data and programs.")
> The numbers should change as you move the slider.

I agree this part needs to be explicitly worded out in plain English
every step of the way for novice users.  Complicated jargon will just
scare them off or confuse them.  Also, misunderstandings can cause them
to loose their Windows partition (which has already happened to one guy
on a Linux Usenet group) which they wanted to keep or had to keep as in
my case.  Perhaps the best way to do this is via a Wizard which words
things out in plain English for the user and does all of the complicated
stuff for them automatically.
>  - For some reason "match" is not a valid user-name during install.  My
> friend's first name is Match and it frustrates him that he can't use
> that as a username.
Didn't this get implemented a long time ago in Linux that certain user
names were invalid because they were too easily hacked.  Like admins
using "god" as their user name.  I remember reading something about this
being implemented in Linux so those common, easily hacked user names
couldn't be used.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com