[CoLoCo] suspicions confirmed

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Fri Jan 4 00:21:37 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 03:44:54PM -0700, Joey Stanford wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 3:35 PM, David Overcash <funnylookinhat at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I have yet to hear of a meaningful case in which Mark overruled
> > > any sort of community consensus.  It certainly can happen, but it is
> > > rare.

> > We should ask him or someone else who would know (Jono?  Joey S?), because
> > now I'm curious and I've always wondered how much he was involved.  As much
> > as development of individual apps is from upstream I have a feeling Mark has
> > a lot to do with influencing where Ubuntu goes.  Joey..  Ping?  : )
>
> Mark has a lot to do with influencing where Ubuntu goes.  :-)
> Matt Zimmerman has a lot to do with influencing where Ubuntu goes. :-)

Sure.  So do many other folks.  The best way to influence things is to
write code or pay people to do so.  Meritocracy, etc.

And they, and many other people, also often take leadership by making
decisions when otherwise things	would just drift along rudderless with
no clear consensus.

But are you aware of cases where Mark overrode a consensus, exercising
his "sabdfl" role ("Self-Appointed Benevolent Dictator For Life")?

-Neal