[CoLoCo] [clue-talk] Re: Random Number Generators

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Thu Feb 21 05:12:57 GMT 2008

Leina,

In some discussions with others about using a computer to generate
random numbers, it is clear that to do anything beyond generating one
number at a time you will need some sort of small program or script.
There may also be some programs that could be downloaded but using a
script of your own would be more fun, I think. Programs and scripts
are written in computer programming languages. There are many computer
languages, but some of the more common ones (and ones you will be able
to easily use on your Linux computer) are C or C++, Python and Ruby.
I'm sure other people will have their own favorites as well. You may
also be able to find something on the internet that is similar to what
you want. In my discussions I also collected a couple examples. They
are attached as text files. They will be run from a terminal
(applications -> accessories -> terminal). For the Python script named
dice.py you would change to the directory containing the file and then
type

python dice.py

For the one called dice.rb use

ruby dice.rb

Good luck with your project.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 1:54 PM, David Rudder
<david.rudder at reliableresponse.net> wrote:
> They're teaching you about PRNGs in 6th grade?  I'm very impressed!

David, as cool as that would be it isn't the case. She is just doing
this for a science fair project. I suspect some people won't have a
clue what she talking about - which will also be kind of cool (or sad
depending on your perspective).

-jim