[CoLoCo] Aaron is coming to town

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Mon Feb 18 18:29:40 GMT 2008

The only problem with anything downtown, even on a holiday, almost always comes down to parking.  Especially the closer you get to Coors Field.  If Falling Rock is where everyone wants to meet, I will be there, but would really prefer something more centrally located, with parking.  D&B (either north or central), Gordon Biersch, etc.

<opinion>
Generally these types of things are easiest done when they are close to a freeway exit.  You will generally get a better turnout if you avoid two situations:  First, getting too far away from the center mass of the population.  Too many events lately have been in Longmont, and I think that is alienating many Denver people.  But if we come too far south, we will alienate our strong core in Northern Colorado.  That in my opinion is why North Metro is a better solution right now.  The second key to good turnout is accessibility.  Downtown is very central, easy to find type of place, but not easy to get around, and not easy to park.  This ends up making downtown less desirable.  Dave and Busters just off of Valley Highway and Colorado is a key place because it is easy to just drop off the freeway and it is right there.  Same with D&B up north.  Gordon Biersch is easy because it is right at Flat Irons Crossing.  Back roads from Longmont and I-36 from Boulder and Denver make it a great "crossroads" type of place.  This group is much smaller than I wish it would be.  In order to make it grow, I feel we need to start migrating it to within the Denver area, but no so far as to loose the excellent core of people we have from Northern Colorado.
</opinion>

To be honest, downtown would be easier for me, but I still think we need to start looking for a good place to meet in North Metro, Like Gordon Biersch in Broomfield/Flat Irons Crossing.

Kevin Fries
Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc
A division of Japan Communications, Inc
http://www.cctus.com
(303) 708-9228 x326