[CoLoCo] Random Number Generators

NICK VERBECK nerdynick at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 07:03:12 GMT 2008

The other side you may also wish to investigate into is there are
different ways a computer can generate a random.

One method that older gambling machines use to use not to long ago was
a random number table. You may have seen these in the front or back of
your math books. Its pretty much a giant list of randomly numbers that
have already been picked for you. You then pick a spot in the table to
start from then work your way forward. Once you get to the end you
start back at the beginning of the table and work threw the list
again. As you may notice this doesn't work to well at preventing
cheating. So it has since been removed from gambling machines and
replaced with some of the more modern methods.

Another method more commonly used in programs where the randomness its
not that crucial is to watch the CPU and the times it takes
instructions to be calculated. There are then more complex algorithms
that go into making sure the numbers are more random.

One of the most complex methods involves the use of many computers and
extra computer components plus some very crazy math. I have yet to dig
into the ideas behind this. So I can't explain much into it. However
some good examples of there use are Online Poker or Gambling websites.
Where the randomness of the cards is crucial as they cannot watch
players to make sure they are not cheating.

These are just some of the more basic and common methods of generating
random numbers, but it may give you something to reference in your
paper as possible environmental variables that can effect the outcome
of test and reproducing your experiment.