[CoLoCo] anyone understand the various Intel CPUs?

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Sat Feb 9 04:05:56 GMT 2008

Okay, I think I'm getting it. Discounting the 45nm chips for the
moment, the conroe are still the top with the newer ones having the
1333 mhz FSB. Correct? In that case, the E6850 is basically top (again
discounting 45nm and extreme models).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115028

In that case, what memory do you match with it with? There is a ton of
PC2 memory but none at 1333. The only 1333 is PC3 and expensive. Can I
still use a relatively inexpensive PC6400 at 800mhz? Or will that
cause problems? What about PC8500? That's 1066mhz but the CPU is still
1333. Most mobos that support 1333 CPUs seem to support a variety of
memory. Do you see the dilemma or at least my confusion?

Thanks again
-jim