[CoLoCo] Canonical To Start Offering Commercial Software Via Aptitude

NICK VERBECK nerdynick at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 06:44:42 GMT 2008

I'm greatly happy to see the idea of commercial software to hit linux
but I have to say I agree with the idea of keeping the line drawn in
the sand.

I like to release software that I make as free and open source but it
doesn't keep the heat on and we all know it can get cold in colorado.
And being able to release commercial software in APT can be great in
helping get new Open Source libraries and technology into APT. As
commercial vendors can learn APT and packaging for their commercial
products then take that education and release the few products they
have as Open Source without the costs that drive some companies away
from releasing Open Source Software. It may even aspire some
commercial companies to start releasing Open Source Software to make
there image look good and to promote there commercial software line.
Just like VMWare does with there player and server.

I do hope to see how this play out and I hope they keep the line drawn
as I don't want to be browsing through APT. Find a cool product
thinking its Open Source, install it then be hit with a "HaHa You have
to buy me."