[CoLoCo] The Beginning of the End

TheZorch thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 23:07:23 GMT 2008

Kevin Fries wrote:
> You underestimate the talent that is Microsoft.  These guys bought Unix
> from AT&T, then destroyed that version of Unix in their attempt to
> convert it to x86.  Called it Xenix.  I think maybe 3 companies actually
> liked it... thousands revolted!
>
> Then once they got their butt whacked pretty hard, they split off to
> become the "Santa Cruz Operations".  If that name if familiar, just
> wait.  As SCO, they further screwed up the operating system, and got
> wacked a second time.
>
> Now, SCO was a laughing stock, so they switched to Linux and became
> Caldera.  I know you will find this hard to believe, but yep, wacked
> again... badly!
>
> Went around sabre rattling, trying to get everyone to pay for licenses
> for crap they claimed as their own.  Got money from only a few suckers
> like Novel.
>
> Changed their name back to SCO, got more money from the mother ship
> (i.e. Microsoft), and decided that their inability to not f(*& up an
> operating system must be IBM's fault.  So they sued IBM for license
> restriction.  Yep, you guessed it... wacked by the courts.  Turns out
> Novel owns it.  Yep, the same Novel they bullyed into paying for a
> license (for software it turns out they owned... too precious).
>
> And these people you believe will behave better the second time?  What
> makes you think this way?

Ah.  Ok, I see your point.  They'd probably be better off retooling XP
into a new OS and tell the RIAA, MPAA and ESA to go screw themselves
because nobody will buy Windows 7 if it has the same multi-layered,
system resource gobbling DRM (Windows Content Protection) that Vista has
right now.  If Windows 7 has it the OS will not sell, it will be a
failure before it hits the store shelves and will just sit there and
gather dust like Vista is right now.

Sadly, Microsoft is one of those companies that doesn't seem to learn
from their mistakes.  Especially with SteveyB in charge of the company.
If I were an investor I'd demand his resignation.  He's running the
company into the dirt.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com