[CoLoCo] The Beginning of the End

TheZorch thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 22:20:15 GMT 2008

Kevin Fries wrote:
> Michael, you are scaring me!
>
> I am old enough to remember XeniX (shuddering!)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix

Sometimes I have that effect on people.  Microsoft wouldn't have as much
leeway if they developed a Linux OS.  They'd have to comply with the
GPL, which means they'd have to release their source code.  They CAN get
around that by making certain programs Proprietary but all that'll do is
alienate them from the more diehard of Linux users.  They cannot make
the whole OS proprietary but they don't necessarily have to give it away
free either; ie, Xandros, Linspire.

While they'd be restrained from business-as-usual for how they normally
operate they'd be free to innovate as much as they want with the OS and
maybe even, Kami-sama forbid, develop their own Desktop Environment
which perfectly mimics the look and feel of Windows.  This would be sort
of like how Apple slapped the Mac OS look and feel on top of BSD/Unix.

But, as long as Steve "Playground Bully" Balmer is in charge of
Microsoft this will never happen.  He is the #1 reason why the company
is going down hill.  Ever since he took over the full day-to-day
operation of the company from Bill Gates, MS has been on a slow but
steady nose dive.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com