[CoLoCo] dice rolls in C

TheZorch thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 16:23:18 GMT 2008

Kevin Fries wrote:
> The problem with these types of "simulations" is that they rarely are
> able to properly simulate actual dice throws.  All they are able to do
> is pick pseudo-random numbers from an algorithm and normalize it between
> 1 and the number of sides on the dice.  This assumes in a perfect world,
> every number has an equal number of chances of coming up, and therefore
> should create a situation where every number will come up an even number
> of times, given a large enough sampling.
Here's a thought also.  Someone developed a chip which had human brain
cells grown on its surface and used it to control a flight simulator.
The chip was able to not only control the virtual plane but was even
able to learn.  The idea behind this is that an analog element was added
to the chip with the addition of the laboratory grown brain cells.  One
might think that a chip like this uses as a microprocessor for a
computer might make random number generation "truly" random as well as
add a kind of fuzzy logic or pseudo-awareness to a computer.  I'm not
talking full-on A.I., but perhaps a kind of involuntary reflexive system
which adjusted the performance of a system based on what tasks it was
asked to do.  This kind of computing technology is still in its infancy
so don't expect to see it coming to desktop anytime soon.  You're more
likely to see it employed in military or NASA guidance system first
before it comes to home computers.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com