[CoLoCo] [OT] there is one thing about microwaves (was Re: ubuntu and science fairs)

Paul Schwartz pmjs1115 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 16:01:20 GMT 2008

Yes. The "how" is the key. Microwaves generally don't heat the vessel, they heat the contents. the microwaves tend to be preferentially absorbed by certain hydrogen bonds which are more prevalent in organic materials [and are obviously quite numerous in water]. For example, the hydrogen bonds in fats seem to absorb more than water, and solid fat is different from liquid fat. It can get very complex.
A generally ignored question by the purveyors of microwave ovens is how the various hydrogen bonds in the vital nutrients of our foods behave in a microwave. A very interesting question [to me], but I have found it difficult to come up with a good experiment.

 Paul