[CoLoCo] ubuntu and science fairs

Dale K. Hawkins dkhawk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:21:42 GMT 2008

One word for you: Arduino.  Definitely fits the bill of open source (both
hardware and software).  Easy to grasp.  Easy to use.

http://www.arduino.cc/
http://store.makezine.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKARDIE
http://store.makezine.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0596510519&Show=ExtInfo

And don't forget to stop by http://www.instructables.com/.

-Dale

On Feb 4, 2008 10:08 AM, Jim Hutchinson <jim at ubuntu-rocks.org> wrote:

> Greetings Ubu-dudes,
>
> The science fair is approaching and my kid needs an idea. Naturally,
> my first thoughts turn to FOSS and Ubuntu. What I can't envision,
> however, is how to tie FOSS or Ubuntu into a science project. Because
> most students don't grasp the concept of an experiment, schools are
> now dividing projects into two categories: demonstrations of concepts
> and true experiments (i.e. have a control and experimental group). My
> daughter wants to do a real experiment. Any thoughts on a topic using
> FOSS in an experimental situation - one that is doable for a 6th
> grader?
>
> Thanks.
> -jim

All creativity is an extended form of a joke.
- Alan Kay