[CoLoCo] ubuntu and science fairs

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Mon Feb 4 17:08:26 GMT 2008

Greetings Ubu-dudes,

The science fair is approaching and my kid needs an idea. Naturally,
my first thoughts turn to FOSS and Ubuntu. What I can't envision,
however, is how to tie FOSS or Ubuntu into a science project. Because
most students don't grasp the concept of an experiment, schools are
now dividing projects into two categories: demonstrations of concepts
and true experiments (i.e. have a control and experimental group). My
daughter wants to do a real experiment. Any thoughts on a topic using
FOSS in an experimental situation - one that is doable for a 6th
grader?

Thanks.
-jim