[CoLoCo] [probably off topic] Linux beats mac - again

David Overcash funnylookinhat at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 03:19:11 GMT 2008

I'd agree with that... except that I've optimized my laptop for battery life
by using powertop (See: http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/ ) and I
usually run only abiword and maybe one firefox window (with only one tab).
The same would get almost twice the battery life on OS X.

I'm not totally surprised though; Apple puts a lot of effort into optimizing
their kernel to have extended sleep cycles and clock down more often than
not.  I just wish it was easier for Ubuntu users to get an optimized kernel
for their CPU (Not all x86 CPUs are the same... a Core2Duo is a hell of a
lot different from a Centrino Duo, and even more different from a Centrino
or P4...  let alone AMD CPUs).

I'm done ranting though.  :)

-David