[CoLoCo] Promoting Open Office

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Mon Dec 15 17:41:01 GMT 2008

Funny you should write this now...

Just this morning, I had an incident that opened an eye, time will tell if it had the desired effect.  Our corporate office (in Japan) sent us a word document with a .docx extension.  The CEO was pissed that they sent a document in a format we could not read.  Being the only full time Linux user, I was the only one that could read it, since our office's standard is Office 2k3.  So, I reformat the document for the entire rest of the office.

When the boss asked how come I could read it when none of the Windows users could, I proudly proclaimed that "being a Linux user makes it much more cost effective to keep my system up to date, so I have the most recent software, and the most recent version of Open Office has no problem reading DOCX files."

quietly lmao

Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc
A division of Japan Communications Inc
(303) 708-9228 x326