[CoLoCo] ssh timeout issue

siblog tehsiblog at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:45:04 BST 2008

I have been wrestling with a ssh timeout issue and can't seem to find an
answer that is working for me. Some important details are.....The connection
is between a HP-UX Unix server and a Ubuntu Linux server. The Unix server is
behind a firewall and the Linux server is outside of the firewall. I can't
alter the /etc/ssh/sshd_config files on either server but do have
.ssh/config files that I have been playing within the users directory on
both servers.

As far as the process and issue....I basically have a script that is ssh'ing
from the Unix server into the Linux server and kicking off another script
that runs on the Linux server. Based on the volume of data the script is
processing on the Linux server it sometimes takes up to three hours to run.
At around the 1.5 - 2 hour mark the ssh connection fails with a timeout
error. I have been trying many different things with the users .ssh/config
file including adding "KeepAlive yes" entries as well as playing with
"ClientAliveInterval", "ClientAliveCountMax", "ServerAliveInterval" and
"ServerAliveCountMax". Does anyone know what I could be missing or what
could be going wrong?

Thanks,

-Simon