[CoLoCo] New Name

Richard Guenther richskyline at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 00:34:16 BST 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Mitch Mahan <mitch at kci.net> wrote:

> *Tongue in cheek*
>
> I don't know any CULT member that would bring cyanide - let alone figure
> out
> how to mix it (without extensive calculation).

Well, next Saturday will be the first time I show up.  :-)

About the name:

CoLoCo always seemed to work in one context: in the larger Ubuntu
community.  Outside of that community it's hard to know what it means.  It's
like saying, "I'm a member of the Colorado Chapter!"

I'm a member of Edu-Sig also, which stands for Educational Special Interest
Group.  Does that mean anything to anyone?  No, unless you're in the Python
community and recognize that as the group focused on Python is education
issues.  Outside of the Python community, it doesn't mean much--unless you
specify it as Python in Education Special Interest Group.

I guess I've always liked Colorado Ubuntu Linux Team because it means
something in itself.

I don't find C.U.L.T. offensive (more the opposite), but can understand if
others did.  Also: people would see the word (cult) even if it wasn't
explicitly used as an abbreviation, IMO.

Richard