[CoLoCo] work/ticket tracking software

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Thu Apr 10 03:11:07 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Scott Scriven <ubuntu-us-co at toykeeper.net>
wrote:

> * Joey Stanford <joey at canonical.com> wrote:
> > fwiw, we use http://www.bestpractical.com/rt internally
>
> Request Tracker (RT) isn't half bad.  I haven't spent a lot of
> time with it, but enough to see it does the job and is flexible
> enough for a wide range of uses.  I'd probably choose it for
> non-bug issue tracking.
>
> I'm fond of bugzilla, despite its need for a complete rewrite.
> If you hide or turn off a lot of its extra features, it is pretty
> simple and effective.
>
> I've tried a variety of others too, and some were okay.  Nothing
> stood out as an obvious winner.

The problem with most of these is that they need to be hosted. I don't have
that option right now. Our IT is not as tech as one would hope. If I could
get them to try something like RT without the need to install and maintain
it then it would be easier to get them to try. As it is, they are using
something is pretty basic. If they are paying for it then that is really
bad. They are so fixed on paid software and support. They won't consider
something like drupal for our CMS. Well, they did but rejected it fairly
quickly saying it was cheaper to buy something than hire extra staff to
support it. I don't know what they are paying but it is something in the
$10-15G range which is certainly less than hireing someone but then they
don't need to hire someone to do this, they could easily hire someone on a
contract basis for that much or less since I really doubt there is much work
to this once it's up and running. Out of curiosity, is there anyone who
thinks managing a school district's CMS with drupal or other software could
be done for say less than $10G a year? What would it cost to get someone to
manage an RT setup? I'd like to bring the data to the next tech meeting and
see if we are overpaying or not.

Thanks.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)