[CoLoCo] Is creating something in flash == programming?

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Tue Apr 8 05:16:00 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:27 PM, David Overcash <funnylookinhat at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The problem I see is this:
>
> While other students had to completely create each feature of their
> programs by code (including any GUI), the Flash kids probably didn't have to
> do more than drag a mouse around with some clicks to create their GUI.
>
> Seems pretty unfair to me.  Especially considering the "one character at a
> time" clause.

Yeah, some better guidelines are needed. However, the "programming" teacher
isn't going to teach any programming after next year. She's fed up with the
politics of some things but I would have liked to see things go the other
way with some Python or something classes. There are so many cool things
they could do with helping with FOSS projects in any language that would be
more productive, real world, and great learning experiences.

On a more positive note, I'm trying to get a computer club together that
will focus on all sorts of stuff from building a box, to programming to,
well, Linux :).

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----