[CoLoCo] west slope meeting - this whatever ;-)

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Fri Sep 21 14:45:19 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 17:34 -0600, Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> I still think a gutsy party in Vail would be cool albeit a bit of a
> drive for most of us. Maybe the hardy party would be a good time to
> throw a big shindig since it's more of a milestone release. Maybe we
> could pair it with some sort of conference.

You know, I just had a thought

Much of the release party seems focused on us... But I can't help but
try and think, what would happen if we really did it up big.  All hands
on deck for a "show up and be seen and get your Gutsy CD" blowout.  See
how many people we can get (a primary goal) in one place to celebrate
the release, with all circus of a Playstation or X-Box release.  While I
doubt we could get that many people, I wonder if we can get enough
people to get the News out there.

Linux is now to a point where it no longer has to ask if it is ready for
the server role, is secure enough, or can handle the desktop.  The
answer is yes, yes, and yes.  Its biggest problem is having the average
guy on the street know that.  Having one of those human interest stories
on the 5, 6, and 10 o'clock newses about how hundreds (thousands?)
descended on Vail to celebrate the latest release.  That could go along
way to making the average guy on the street realize that Linux is used
everyday by lots of people, and maybe give a few more of them the guts
to try gutsy!

Just a thought...

Kevin Fries