[CoLoCo] Great day for linux - Ipod functionality is back to the desktop

phillip tribble phillip.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:48:05 BST 2007

Great work OSS community!

http://ipodminusitunes.blogspot.com/2007/09/weve-won.html

Thanks to some inspired work by a few heroes, we've managed to work out how
to get everything working again.

This is what we've found out: the hash at 0x58 is the one that matters. And
we know how to generate it.

It's a cryptographic signature combining data from the iTunesDB and a device
specific identifier (called the firewireid) and some (formerly) secret
numbers.

Instructions for linux users on how to fix their iTunesDB files are
here<http://www.backdot.com/?p=50>.
Windows users are going to have to wait a little while. (For interested
programmers, the code to generate the hash is
here<http://main.wtbw.co.uk/hash58.zip>
.)

The heroes in question include wtbw, nopcode, teuf, simon and many others
from #gtkpod.

Let's all hope that (if they haven't already from the iPhone unlocking)
Apple learn that fighting against us is pointless. It's a waste of their
time if the open source crowd is going to get past it in just a weekend.