[CoLoCo] Gutsy Gibbon

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 01:42:31 BST 2007

FYI,

I've been running Gutsy on my desktop (AMD + nVidia) and my laptop
(Thinkpad R51 with Atheros wireless) for 6-8 months with no problems
until last night.

1. The latest upgrades for Gutsy put the laptop down hard - will have
to reinstall. It doesn't even boot. This is an xubuntu install.

2. The desktop machine (a kubuntu install with ubuntu-desktop and
xubuntu-desktop also) didn't take the latest kernel upgrade kindly.
Weirdest thing I've ever seen! I have an older Gutsy install on a
separate disk, and the current Gutsy is what I run. Here's the setup.
Old Gutsy on hda8, current gutsy on hdb3. The current grub points to
hdb3. Even though the old gusty partition is not even mounted, the
kernel installation procedure picked up the UUID from the old
partition and overlaid it onto all the kernel stanzas for gutsy in
/boot/grub/menu.lst on hdb3. Of course the initial boot failed (no
such kernel on hda8), but I was able to boot one of the older kernels
and make repairs and setup grub again. It's a super PITA to correct
the UUID values in each and every line!

--
Collins Richey