[CoLoCo] Pressed (Silver) CDs

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 20:01:48 GMT 2007

Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> I have some gold cds too (but not ubuntu - music cds). I think it
> would be cool if lts discs were gold.
The reflective surface you see on audio & software CD/DVDs and
CD-R/DVD-R disks is aluminum and sometimes gold.  This is a reflective
surface for the read laser to bounce off of when the disc is being
read.  The data on a pressed CD is etched onto a piece of polycarbonate
or sometimes glass (yes, some older CDs used glass but most are
polycarbonate today) with a coating of clear lacquer covering the
surface where the data is etched into the disk.  This is why those
scratch repair kits often do work, sicne that lacquer coating is easily
repairable.  The reflective layer is put on the label side surface of
the disk with a clear adhesive and protected by a stick on or printed on
ink label.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com