[CoLoCo] Ubuntu is NOT causing aggressive power management

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 19:01:29 GMT 2007

John Edwards wrote:

> I don't know about flashing the BIOS, but in general there *should* be
> a way to change the setting within the BIOS settings.  As far as
> flashing the drive itself, I've never done that, and don't know if
> it's possible.
>
> I'm going to check this out tonight while I'm working on the laptop
> (which I do when I'm sitting in front of the TV... :)
The power-saving feature in laptop HDs is controlled by the BIOS.  I
agree there should be a way to alter the BIOS power saving features in a
CMOS setup screen, but most BIOSes don't let you change those settings.
One solution would be to develop an ACPI service for Ubuntu that is an
optional download which overrides the BIOS power saving settings like
Windows does.  This way its not built into Ubuntu on install and has to
be consciously added by the user.

There is a project called Linux BIOS, I don't know a lot about it right
now but this might be a solution for companies selling systems with
Linux and/or Ubuntu specifically preinstalled.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home