[CoLoCo] Ubuntu is NOT causing aggressive power management

John Edwards eric.the.grey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:48:11 GMT 2007

I don't know about flashing the BIOS, but in general there *should* be a way
to change the setting within the BIOS settings.  As far as flashing the
drive itself, I've never done that, and don't know if it's possible.

I'm going to check this out tonight while I'm working on the laptop (which I
do when I'm sitting in front of the TV... :)

John Edwards

On Oct 31, 2007 12:26 PM, David L. Willson <DLWillson at thegeek.nu> wrote:

> Isn't the solution to flash the BIOS on the affected hard drive / laptop
> with more appropriate settings?  I don't think Ubuntu should do that.
>
> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 11:54 -0600, Dave Vanderploeg wrote:
> > I don't know, it sounds like Ununtu isn't the cause, but needs to do
> > more to create a solution.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Oct 31, 2007, at 11:05 AM, "Michael \"TheZorch\" Haney" <
> thezorch at gmail.com
> >  > wrote:
> >
> > > It appears that the power management problems in Ubuntu aren't
> > > Ubuntu's
> > > fault at all but the fault of the BIOS in most laptops.
> > >

> http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/ubuntu-is-not-causing-aggressive-power-management/
> > >
> > > --
> > > Michael "TheZorch" Haney
> > > thezorch at gmail.com
> > > http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home
> > > AIM: thezorch at gmail.com
> > > Yahoo IM: zorchhaney
> > > ICQ: 343230252
> > > GoogleTalk: thezorch
> > > MSN Messeger: haneymichael at hotmail.com:
> > >

> > > --

Rule #1 of working in any creative field in the 21st century should be: Your
Fans Are Not The Enemy.
Charlie Stross.