[CoLoCo] Ubuntu is NOT causing aggressive power management

Ryan Maki ryan.maki at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:39:39 GMT 2007

On Oct 31, 2007, at 12:26 PM, "David L. Willson"
<DLWillson at TheGeek.NU> wrote:

> Isn't the solution to flash the BIOS on the affected hard drive /
> laptop
> with more appropriate settings?  I don't think Ubuntu should do that.

I think that ubuntudemons point was that Windows and Mac both appear
to override these settings. So this snafu is making Ubuntu look bad
because our philosophy is to let the drive manufacturers make these
decisions.

It's a rock and a hard place call because if Ubuntu does monkey with
the settings they could be _directly_ responsible for screwing up your
hardware.

~ Ryan