[CoLoCo] freeyourcomputer

Nelson E. Ingersoll nelson.ingersoll at email.com
Sat Oct 27 16:02:31 BST 2007

   I have to chime in, new though I be, and reinforce Ryan and Alex about
zealotry.  For example, I am a long-time open-source advocate, and I am
quite offended and put off by the recent spate of FOSS anti-Vista ads and
comments.  They are simply MEAN.

   Not only do I say we do not want to be zealots, we specifically don't
want to appear as though we are.  I think a good tack would be to play
down the "cost" of Ubuntu.  I personally have spent way more on free
software, donations in particular, than non-free software.  Especially for
the operating system.  Think about that Bill Gates.

   Here are things I believe we could focus on as good reasons for Ubuntu.

   1. Openness.   Open license.   Not so  much free as in very easy to
      "legally" use anywhere.  Open standards.  Known by all, free to all,
      designed for use by all.  Open-community.  People with similar
      needs coming together and helping each other.  Open, it's not
      as much a license as an attitude.

   2. Security.  Not impervious, but built from the center out to resist
      attacks.  With over 35 years of ongoing effort.  Enough said.

   3. Support.  You can pay for support when you like.  And you can turn
      to the community when you like.  One's quicker and slicker.  The
      other there all the time.

   4. Closeness to the authors and owners.  While big projects, Ubuntu
      and OpenOffice.org as examples, can seem (be?) impenetrable
      to "normal" folk, the people who build the programs are much
      closer than you might think.  And they care enough to love their
      software and set it free.  They listen.  They care deeply how
      good their software is.

   5. It's the community stupid!  People like dumb ol' us.  Smart and
      dumb, slow and fast, young and old, well paid and not, who build
      the Ubuntu family and keep it squabbling, er going.

   6. Open software isn't for geeks.  It's by geeks for the butcher,
      the baker, and the candle-stick maker.

   7. Ubuntu is a community of projects and a project of community.

- Nelson