[CoLoCo] I'm confused about how the disk works

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:02:39 BST 2007

On 10/25/07, Kenneth D. Weinert <kenw at quarter-flash.com> wrote:

> Here's where the problem comes in - in top I see that I have no swap,
> but looking at fdisk shows a swap partition and if I type
> swapon /dev/sda5 then suddenly I have a bunch of swap available.
>
> In fstab both /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda5 are commented out.

I can't begin to guess how you reached this state of affairs, but you
will need to uncomment a line in fstab to have your swap activated
automatically at boot time. Otherwise, you will have no swap until you
issue a swapon command. In all Ubuntu installs that I have done, swap
is handled and registered in fstab automatically.

--
Collins Richey