[CoLoCo] new t-shirt / help idea

Alex Comer alex at platinumcode.com
Thu Oct 11 22:28:28 BST 2007

If by "our coloco address" you mean http://coloco.ubuntu-rocks.org/, I would
disagree, unless we're going to paste a giant green button on it that says
"if you are here for free support click here" right in the middle of the
top. http://coloco.ubuntu-rocks.org/ is a community site for our group,
while this proposed site, if I am understanding the idea, would be more of a
marketing site, to market the idea of switching to ubunu, promote the
feasibility of the idea to people. This is a different goal than
http://coloco.ubuntu-rocks.org/ has, which is more about connecting a
network of geeks. It seems to me that the site referred to on the shirt
should definitely link to our group site (ie: sponsered by ubuntu colorado
team, click here:http://coloco.ubuntu-rocks.org/), but it has a distinctly
different purpose. Joe Schmoe wouldn't know what to do next at
http://coloco.ubuntu-rocks.org/. The proposed site would need to be, in my
mind at least, insanely easy to understand for the common user with a
clearly targeted goal of converting computer users into ubuntu users.

Just my $0.02
Alex

On 10/11/07, Neal McBurnett <neal at bcn.boulder.co.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 02:50:32PM -0600, Alex Comer wrote:
> > I second Jim's nomination to be the lead who intends to do all the
> organization
> > for this tech support group within the LoCo.
>
> Thanks!  I do suggest that liability needs to be addressed and may be
> sticky.  See if there are good disclaimer statements from installfest
> organizers....
>
> > Futhermore, I vote for the formation of a small web group within our
> ubuntu
> > group to tackle the web end of this problem, since it sounds like a few
> folks
> > have an interest. So far, I'm hearing that currently Darrin, myself,
> Phillip?
> > others?
> >
> > My company leases a dedicated Linux server which runs a handful of web
> sites.
> > I'll be happy to donate the hosting and domain registration if need be.
> This
> > sounds like an interesting project to me, I say we roll with it while we
> have
> > momentum! Can we get consensus on a domain name?
>
> If we're really doing tshirts I think we should stick with a site that
> will be around a long time, maybe with a catchphrase about colorado
> ubuntu support.  Using our coloco address sounds much more widely
> usable and beneficial to me, and if we don't like it we can change it.
>
> -Neal
>
> > Alex Comer
> >

> > On 10/11/07, Darrin Goodman <darrin.goodman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >     A while back, I upgraded my GoDaddy account.  I'll have to double
> >     check for certain, but I believe the upgrade includes hosting for an
> >     unlimited number of domains.  I believe that the server that my
> >     account is associated with is running Fedora.
> >
> >     If someone has a personal server that they want to host on, that's
> >     great too.  Otherwise, I'll look further into setting up hosting for
> >     this.
> >
> >     Also, I would be interested in helping out with the web
> >     implementation.  Drupal sounds good as I believe that it would allow
> >     for editing by authenticated users.  I've been wanting to implement
> >     something like Drupal, phpBB, or SimpleMachines (I know, these don't
> >     all serve the same purpose) for a while now, so it would be fun to
> be
> >     in on the implementation.
> >
> >     I also have some ideas for the shirt design and would love to join
> >     forces with anyone who is interested on that as well.  I'm in the
> >     process of trying to locate the screen printing shop here in FC to
> see
> >     what their prices are.  The shirts that they are using are really
> nice
> >     and are high quality.
> >
> >     - Darrin
> >

> >     On 10/11/07, Alex Comer < alex at platinumcode.com> wrote:
> >     > Let me offer my support. If we are serious about this endeavor, I
> [...]

Alex Comer
alex at platinumcode.com
720-883-5493