[CoLoCo] new t-shirt / help idea

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Wed Oct 10 19:50:55 BST 2007

Based on the discussion, I propose a new shirt project.

Anyone willing to be a billboard can order a shirt and wear it with
pride anywhere they wish. We should order some brochures (maybe from
system76) that explain Ubuntu and what we are willing to offer. I
suggest we offer to introduce interested people to Ubuntu on our own
equipment and then if they are interested helping them set up a dual
boot. We should also be prepared to back up their files if they can't.
Each person can decide for themselves how they want to approach each
situation. The brochure should spell out the risks and make clear the
need to backup. If you get any bites while fishing with your shirt you
give them the brochure and a link to our website or mail list. They
can ask questions and if they decide the way to try whoever was their
point of contact can help them.

I don't know if there are any legal issues to worry about. If someone
asks you to install something and there is an error I don't know if
they can try to sue you or not. I'd say probably not - especially if
you outlined the risks. However, it might be worthwhile to have a
short document that says you are a volunteer and helping at their
request. It outlines the process and risks and they sign it. I'm sure
it's minimal protection but if they try to sue you I think most judges
would be inclined to say tough luck to the individual if you have
their consent in writing.

I'll see if I can get something drafted. I have access to a lawyer.

Any thoughts?

Jim