[CoLoCo] REMOTE SERVER

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Mon Oct 8 15:49:59 BST 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 08:07:23AM -0600, phillip tribble wrote:
> http://www.linux.com/feature/119446
>
> I came across this article this morning from Linux.com. The article
> discusses how to easily login your computer remotely and launch
> applications. Has anyone had expierence with this yet?

The article has some helpful tips, but also some questionable advice.

The DynDNS and ddclient advice is good and nicely presented.

I recommend using a public key to get in, and using a non-default port
to avoid much of the hacking out there.

I question the importance of using those pam restrictions, though they
probably don't hurt.  But they add some complexity.  I guess if you
don't trust your family and other account holders to use good
passwords, it would be worthwhile.  I'd rather drill in to my family
the importance of good passwords: 9+ characters, use of symbols, not
containing whole words, etc.  Smash parts of different words together
and throw in some non-obvious symbols and you'll be ahead of the crowd
and thus much safer....

The comments below about avoiding NX and using compression on VNC as
an alternative seem interesting and worth looking into.

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/