[CoLoCo] Your Thoughts on Wubi

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 07:22:46 BST 2007

From: "David Overcash" <funnylookinhat at gmail.com>
> Just to clarify:
> WUBI installs Ubuntu just like the LiveCD or Alternate CD would...  it
> resizes an NTFS partition and writes all of the data to a new partition that
> can be removed via the Add/Remove programs manager in windows.

That's not quite right.  Wubi creates a virtual file system inside a
file that the software mounts as a hard drive at start up when you
select Ubuntu from the boot menu.  It doesn't actually touch the NTFS
partition.

> The Buffalo wireless might be supported, just not immediately out of the
> box...
>
> Check out this page to see if you have the correct model number and follow
> the instructions it gives:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsBuffalo

Sigh.  I've already scoured the web like mad trying to get this to
work and I've seen this page before also.  Sadly, my USB adapter just
won't work.  I'm going to have to run a cable.  The adapter runs just
fine in Windoze, when the OS isn't crashing on me.  I'm surprised WiFi
is even working here, this building and the entire surrounding area
which ON TOP OF A HILL is like a cell phone dead zone.  I can't get a
single bar on my phone and my friend's Sprint wireless card for his
MacBook Pro can barely connection to the data network when he's here.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home