[CoLoCo] ubuntu server

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Tue Oct 2 18:43:43 BST 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 11:27:33AM -0600, Alex Comer wrote:
> Can you recommend an OSS tool for ubuntu servers similar to "cpanel"
> or "plesk" - allowing web based administration? I had thought that
> webmin is the best OSS offering in this area but then I heard from
> several sources that webmin is no longer supported in Debian and
> Ubuntu, that it is not compatible with the way that Ubuntu packages
> handle configuration files, and that it is likely to cause unexpected
> issues with my system. Has anyone used ispconfig on ubuntu? Any
> problems to report?

You are right that webmin is bad news - it interacts very badly with
debian configuration policies and tools like dpkg-reconfigure.  It
often breaks upgrades for servers, I'm told.

I've heard pretty good things about ispconfig from the server team but
haven't tried it myself.

But the direction for the future is ebox - see the ebox-all package in
gutsy and

 http://www.ebox-platform.com

and the latest ubuntu patches at

 https://code.edge.launchpad.net/sohobuntu

A major improvement is planned for Hardy:

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EboxSpec

Two other interesting upstarts:

 https://edge.launchpad.net/usm
 https://edge.launchpad.net/uhs