[CoLoCo] UBUNTU SURVIVAL : SAVE THY SELF

John Edwards eric.the.grey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 20:29:28 GMT 2007

Conspiracy is not necessary these days.  This crap has been going on as long
as I can remember.  As long as there is a popular OS, the script kiddies
will find ways of making people who don't know better, compromise or destroy
their systems.

I recall getting an email from someone off of a Usenet posting I did about a
spyware infestation way back in Win98 days that insisted that if I told
Win98 to delete the "C:\windows" directory, the system would protect itself
and not allow any required files to be deleted, but it would remove any
files that shouldn't be there, thus eliminating the spyware.  Of course, I
knew better, but how many people did this ass take in with that line?

The only problem I see with these postings, is that the bad guys will turn
to PM's next.  Just yesterday, I received a PM on another forum, linking me
to a "really cool hack for MMO's.  It was suppose to allow you to hack the
stats of your MMO characters, but it seemed to be just a capcha (sp?) hack
so the writer could create new forum logins... (someone on the board had
opened it up in a XP Virtual machine to see).

If the script works, it would be a great deal of help in this matter.  PM's
aren't seen by anybody but the reader as a general rule.

John Edwards

--
Rule #1 of working in any creative field in the 21st century should be: Your
Fans Are Not The Enemy.