[CoLoCo] OLPC SUED

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Wed Nov 28 18:29:56 GMT 2007

On 11/28/07, Alex Comer <alex at platinumcode.com> wrote:
> Yes, you can patent software (though I wouldn't recommend it in general, for
> philosophical reasons). Sadly the USPTO is ill equipped (in terms of
> manpower and expertise) to examine all the patent applications and so most
> are just "rubber-stamped" approvals, often for " patent trolls" whose sole
> business model is acquiring patents and suing folks.

Yes, I know you can patent software. There is, however, a debate about
whether or not you should be able to. Recent court cases have led some
to believe the supreme court will not uphold software patents - at
least not blindly. This could be an example of such a case but it may
be more about the physical hardware than the software so we'll have to
wait.

Software is like a great novel. You can copyright it and get into
trouble if you plagiarize it. But you have many great novels about the
same thing and you can have different software that does the same
thing.

Jim