[CoLoCo] Programing language for simple Open Office program

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Wed Nov 28 17:17:29 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 09:07 -0700, Dave Vanderploeg wrote:
> I want to create a simple program to generate quotes in OOCalc. Here
> are the basic pieces that I need:
>
> Price List - A list of items, prices and discounts in simple
> spreadsheet format
> Form - A popup form to select items from the price list and add them
> to the Template - It should have filtering options, and may need to
> access more than one price list
> Template - What I'll PDF for my customers, another simple spreadsheet
>
> So, most of the scripting if for the form. How should I go about doing
> this? It looks like I could either use Python or JavaScript, right?
> Which is better, both in general and for my application? I need it to
> work on Windows, Linux and OSX, does python work with NeoOffice?

Ruby is completely cross platform and has support for OpenDocument
directly.

http://code.google.com/p/ruby-opendocument/

or

http://rubyforge.org/projects/energon/

Data can be stored in a database or CSV file.  And, It also has support
for PDF printing directly

http://ruby-pdf.rubyforge.org/pdf-writer/

These tools would be much more efficient and cross platform than
OpenOffice would be (Thanks Apple!!!!, is there a smiley to flip Steve
Jobs the bird, lol).  Python also has similar capabilities, so does
Perl, but ruby has superior data capabilities.  Data is Ruby's strength,
and is why is is used so often for database backed web sites.

Is there a reason you are using OpenOffice?

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer