[CoLoCo] Front Range Users of Geospatial Open Source?

Jennifer Horsman jen at jencarta.com
Tue Nov 27 16:18:52 GMT 2007

I am a GIS user and second the opinion on ESRI products. It is really
difficult to move away from such a great product once you have really
learned how to use it. With GIS, the concepts are not that difficult to
grasp, but learning to use the software is quite a hurdle. However, as a
person who is interested in starting up a GIS contract-based business,
the ESRI software is prohibitively expensive. For this reason, software
like GRASS is very attractive. I have been thinking about trying to
learn it in earnest and I think you may find there are people out there
who feel the same - and are very interested in Linux. Obviously, any of
the members of FRUGOS are interested in open source GIS and Unix/Linux
is the best choice for running these products on.

I have worked for the government too and 10 years ago, the lab I worked
for was using GRASS exclusively. Of course, it was originally developed
by the US government!

Jennifer