[CoLoCo] Direct X 9.0c On WINE How-To

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 19:56:34 GMT 2007

Andrew Barney wrote:
> what exactly is the difference between the three? when i used windows
> I'm pretty sure diablo II installed direct x as well as using Direct3D.
The Mac version of Diablo 2 I think used a software rendering engine,
and not OpenGL.  The PC version would revert to a software only engine
when it couldn't use Direct3D.  For some reason D2 won't initialize D3D
for my Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 card, but I think I know why.  During the
time when Diablo 2 was still pretty popular the top videocard of the
time wasn't ATI nor Nvidia but 3DFX.  D2 doesn't use Glide, I've
confirmed that, but I think it wants to run using D3D on a 3DFX Voodoo2
graphics card.  The way Direct X works D2 should play using D3D on any
videocard capable of D3D, but it doesn't which leads me to believe the
game is looking for a Voodoo card.

The 3DFX Voodoo 2 was a 3D graphics acceleration board which sat along
side your existing 2D graphics card in separate slot and used a
proprietary 3D API called Glide, although the card could also handled
Direct3D and OpenGL also.  The 3DFX Voodoo Banshee and later the Voodoo
3 & 4 cards combined 2D and 3D graphics into the same video card.  It
wasn't long after the Voodoo 3 & 4 cards come out that 3DFX was bought
up by Nvidia.  Just a little bit of 3D PC graphics history for you.;

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home