[CoLoCo] Ubuntu Server: Good Concept, Flawed Execution

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Tue Nov 20 22:22:50 GMT 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:14:42PM -0700, Dave Vanderploeg wrote:
> Her arguments against it don't seem particularly strong, just doesn't like it
> in general. I do think the install should offer a chance to install one or more
> GUI's. I know server guru's will think thats stupid, but it could be a big plus
> to newbies. Just offer gnome with xterminal and firefox, and very few other
> programs by default.

The approach the server team is taking is indeed to provide a gui, but
to avoid the enormous and dangerous extra baggage that X11, to say
nothing of gnome, would pull in.  And most server admins don't want to
have to go sit in front of a server to configure it.

The current approach is to support gui management over the web via

Of course anyone can easily install X11 or Gnome or KDE or whatever if
they like if it meets their needs.

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/