[CoLoCo] Microsoft's Bill Hilf Reveals Its Open Source Strategy

David Overcash funnylookinhat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 20:28:15 GMT 2007

What they aren't saying is that you usually pay for that support, there is
no guarantee in the software unless you purchase the support packages for
your company.  And at that, they only real guarantee you get is that you can
call someone who HAS to care because they're paid to rather than calling
someone who doesn't care.

I for one appreciate #ubuntu and ubuntuforums.org for reasons such as
these.  :)

-David

On Nov 16, 2007 11:08 AM, Alex Comer <alex at platinumcode.com> wrote:

> Well, that is the case with _very_ large companies with deep pockets. A
> company I used to work for with >60000 employees that had settled on a
> Windows platform for all workstations paid enormous sums to M$ in support
> contracts, for just this very reason. Not only could we (and did we) call
> them in case of a problem, but there were actually several M$ employees who
> regularly popped by and hung about to make sure all is well. So I guess it
> just a matter of how much $ you got.

> On 11/16/07, Jim Hutchinson <jim at ubuntu-rocks.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/16/07, phillip tribble <phillip.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=203100965&pgno=1&queryText=
> >
> > "When people buy commercial software, really what they're buying is a
> > guarantee. You're buying a guarantee that what you have will perform,
> > and has been tested and there's someone you can call up, and if things
> > go really bad someone's liable if something doesn't work."
> >
> > What a crock. What guarantee? And who can you call when windows
> > doesn't work? Not MS, they dump support onto the hardware vendors. I
> > had a problem with vista (before I dumped it) not backing up to an
> > external drive - it wouldn't recognize it. I contacted the hardware
> > vendor (seagate) and they said it was a bug in vista. I tried to find
> > a way to get help from MS and they wanted to charge me $50 or
> > something. What BS.
> >
> > The guarantee bit may be true for some companies but not MS. And I
> > really think the OS community is more likely to help when there are
> > issues. You actually can talk with the devs. OS owns and in time it
> > will be obvious. It may take 20 years but there will come a day when
> > "windows" is just a wikipedia page about a dinosaur that did what all
> > dinosaurs did - go extinct.
> >
> > /rant
> >
> > --

> Alex Comer