[CoLoCo] Microsoft's Bill Hilf Reveals Its Open Source Strategy

Alex Comer alex at platinumcode.com
Fri Nov 16 18:08:17 GMT 2007

Well, that is the case with _very_ large companies with deep pockets. A
company I used to work for with >60000 employees that had settled on a
Windows platform for all workstations paid enormous sums to M$ in support
contracts, for just this very reason. Not only could we (and did we) call
them in case of a problem, but there were actually several M$ employees who
regularly popped by and hung about to make sure all is well. So I guess it
just a matter of how much $ you got.

On 11/16/07, Jim Hutchinson <jim at ubuntu-rocks.org> wrote:

> On 11/16/07, phillip tribble <phillip.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=203100965&pgno=1&queryText=
>
> "When people buy commercial software, really what they're buying is a
> guarantee. You're buying a guarantee that what you have will perform,
> and has been tested and there's someone you can call up, and if things
> go really bad someone's liable if something doesn't work."
>
> What a crock. What guarantee? And who can you call when windows
> doesn't work? Not MS, they dump support onto the hardware vendors. I
> had a problem with vista (before I dumped it) not backing up to an
> external drive - it wouldn't recognize it. I contacted the hardware
> vendor (seagate) and they said it was a bug in vista. I tried to find
> a way to get help from MS and they wanted to charge me $50 or
> something. What BS.
>
> The guarantee bit may be true for some companies but not MS. And I
> really think the OS community is more likely to help when there are
> issues. You actually can talk with the devs. OS owns and in time it
> will be obvious. It may take 20 years but there will come a day when
> "windows" is just a wikipedia page about a dinosaur that did what all
> dinosaurs did - go extinct.
>
> /rant

Alex Comer
alex at platinumcode.com