[CoLoCo] Microsoft's Bill Hilf Reveals Its Open Source Strategy

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Fri Nov 16 17:54:59 GMT 2007

On 11/16/07, phillip tribble <phillip.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=203100965&pgno=1&queryText=

"When people buy commercial software, really what they're buying is a
guarantee. You're buying a guarantee that what you have will perform,
and has been tested and there's someone you can call up, and if things
go really bad someone's liable if something doesn't work."

What a crock. What guarantee? And who can you call when windows
doesn't work? Not MS, they dump support onto the hardware vendors. I
had a problem with vista (before I dumped it) not backing up to an
external drive - it wouldn't recognize it. I contacted the hardware
vendor (seagate) and they said it was a bug in vista. I tried to find
a way to get help from MS and they wanted to charge me $50 or
something. What BS.

The guarantee bit may be true for some companies but not MS. And I
really think the OS community is more likely to help when there are
issues. You actually can talk with the devs. OS owns and in time it
will be obvious. It may take 20 years but there will come a day when
"windows" is just a wikipedia page about a dinosaur that did what all
dinosaurs did - go extinct.

/rant