[CoLoCo] Converting from Ogg to MP3

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 04:06:54 GMT 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 8:40 AM, Chomafin <chomafin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gnome SoundConverter seems to do what your looking for.
> http://soundconverter.berlios.de/
> > It reads anything the GStreamer library can read (Ogg Vorbis, AAC, MP3,
> FLAC, WAV, AVI, MPEG, MOV, M4A, AC3, DTS, ALAC, MPC, Shorten, APE, SID,
> etc...), and writes WAV, FLAC, MP3, and Ogg Vorbis files.
>
> It will read all the tag info and convert that as well.  You can apparently
> use it as a command line tool as well.

Thanks for reporting this little gem. It takes a little bit of
screwing with prerequisites on a non-gnome distribution (sidux in my
case), but the result is superb. I can detect no difference in quality
between the original ogg file and the mp3.

You need perl XML::parse, python-ttk2 and gnome-gtk2.

And, of course, it's not a deb - ./configure. make, make install.

--
Collins Richey