[CoLoCo] A couple of things about ubuntu

Kenneth D Weinert kenw at quarter-flash.com
Fri Nov 9 17:50:57 GMT 2007

First off, one of the things that I *really* like about ubuntu is the
packaging system and how it's integrated.

The most recent example is this:  I tried to run a game this morning
that tried to go full screen and killed the system at least to the point
where my only out was to reboot. When visiting a social networking site
I was confused for a bit because when I made a post I'd see a notice at
the bottom about it being posted 7 hours from now. That, of course, led
me to look at the clock which was off by 7 hours. So, I right click on
the clock, select "update time and date" which brought up the sudo
prompt (which is also a nice feature) and then when I selected "keep
time synchronized with internet" it told me I didn't have NTP installed
and let me go through the procedure to do that.

No going off to fire up a shell or package manager and remembering the
name of the package I needed to install, etc. It was just automagic.

Cool.

I had a lot of trouble last night at BLUG getting connected with the
wireless. It's not necessarily a wireless thing because it works here at
home just fine and it worked a Panera for the meeting there, but here's
my question about wireless.

Is there a package somewhere that works with the wireless that
recognizes a location and then just automagically reconfigures the
wireless to work? For example, if I went to a particular coffee shop,
the library, and home on a consistent basis, is there a way to recognize
the SSID that's being broadcast and it just connecting?

I know, this isn't strictly ubuntu, but it is now because that's all I'm
running (well, except on the one laptop that might not be able to run it
- but I hang on the that one because of sentimental reasons, it's not in
constant use :)

Thanks guys.

--
Ken Weinert