[CoLoCo] The Really Fast Way

Thu Nov 8 20:13:28 GMT 2007

Me too, which is why I was so excited by this other way.  Try this, and see if it isn't
faster.  It does work with the IP address of the server, as well as the name, I just
tested it.

You can use the same method with ftp and sftp (ssh,scp) servers, just by changing the
protocol specificied.  For example, I access my home Linux server with:

<Alt>+F2, "sftp://dlwillson@mailman.thegeek.nu:222"

I probably don't need to mention that the smb://servername works with Samba servers,
too, but I will.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:53:19 -0700, David Overcash wrote
> I always just went to this:
>
> Places - Connect to Server..  select Windows Share and throw in the IP
> address.
>
> -David
>
> On Nov 8, 2007 11:27 AM, David L. Willson <DLWillson at thegeek.nu> wrote:
>
> > I'm always in search of the most direct way to do things, CLI or GUI.
> >  Three clicks is
> > usually faster than a twenty character command, but a ready script or
> > alias is faster
> > than six clicks.
> >
> > One thing I missed in my transition to Linux was a really fast way to
> > browse a Windows
> > file-server.  I found it today:
> >
> > In  Windows 2000/XP, it's Start>Run (or <Super>+R), "\\servername",
> > <Enter>
> > In Linux / Gnome, it's <Alt>+<F2>, "smb://servername", <Enter>
> >
> > I haven't found the clicks to the Run box in Gnome, but it's gone in
> > Vista, too, so I
> > guess that's OK...
> >
> > Do you have "really fast way" tricks like this that you use every day?
> >  Share 'em,
> > wouldja, even if they're simple...
> >
> > --

> http://www.funnylookinhat.com