[CoLoCo] GPL Issues with Xandros

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Wed Nov 7 18:31:08 GMT 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 11:08:31AM -0700, David L. Willson wrote:

> I don't think Jim adequately pounded on this point: Not everyone is
> entitled to the four freedoms with a GPL package, only those that
> have legally obtained the package are entitled to the four freedoms.
> Sometimes, that legal acquisition includes payment.  GPL (or 'free')
> does not always include free-as-in-beer.  Counterpoint: freedom from
> price, like a free beer, or a free magazine subscription, or free
> admission to an event, does not always include freedom from
> ridiculous licensing terms.  Although GPL products are usually
> available "for free", there is no requirement for them to be so.
> Free, in the case of free software, means "free to use, study,
> modify, and redistribute" but not necessarily to "acquire without
> payment".

I think that is all mostly true.  And sometimes trademark and patent
issues come up in some jurisdictions.

But the point of the "viral" nature of the GPL is that any of those
folks that did obtain the package are free to pass it on for free,
so you just have to find someone willing to do so to get it for free.

-Neal