[CoLoCo] Hardy Heron

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Mon Nov 5 17:26:31 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 10:42 -0600, Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> Whatever they do, I hope they keep the brownish look. I don't want to
> see an OSX or windows ripoff.

Funny story on this front.

I run the Kiba-dock to have a OS/X-ish launcher at the bottom.  I always
thought the 3D appearance actually looked better than OS/X.  Well my
iPhone crashed horribly this weekend.  I did a mad dash to Cherry Creek
to get some help.  The guy that fixed my phone had the new leopard on
his iBook.  The dock now looks like Kiba.  Also, the screens can now be
configured on a cube.  So, who is copying who here, lol

> In addition to the elephant

Are you guys talking about the wallpaper that is kinda leather looking,
with a circular gradient?  I actually like that one.

What I would like to see would be a selection specifically geared
towards professional machines.  I think the Orange of the past looked to
"cartoon"-ish.  The brown is better, and the leather look is sufficient.
But when Mac wanted to break into the business market several years ago,
they went with a very traditional, button down, pin-stripe, type look.
Ubuntu, and Linux in general, is not seen as a system built for
business, but instead is only for geeks.  I would like to see wallpapers
that begin to send the message that this is an incorrect preconception.

I would also like to see a front and center business branding tool, a
tool that would allow any executive to build a complete business theme
from log on, to wallpaper, to icons that help to brand the desktop for
the business.  It cheap and pandering, but pandering to a businessman's
vanity and ego never caused anyone to go broke :)

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer